This elegant home built in the 1930’s, still had the original kitchen. White ceramic tiles with baby blue trim covered the walls and large soffit. The range and sink shared a short wall under the windows and a large built-in hutch made up most of the only other wall. A walk-in pantry occupied the far corner. There was ample space, but the original design used very little of it.
After identifying lead paint under several layers of paint, we decided to remove all of plaster walls and ceiling. The walk-in pantry was demolished and a new custom designed hutch was constructed on the back wall. The old built-in was removed and the appliances were redistributed providing ample counter area at the sink and range. A new island with large drawers for pots and pans and vented bins for produce completed the new work area. This updated kitchen is bright, spacious, and beautiful.